Outboards 1- 80hp
For Kayaks & Very light Boats
The name says it all – Ultralight 403 is an ultra-light outboard weighing in at just 7 kg including battery.
The integrated on-board computer provides a GPS-based calculation of the remaining range.
The Ultralight 403 doesn’t limit your paddling performance but can (when called on) give you the right push. This is ideal against the current, the wind or tired arms.
It packs a powerful punch and shows real endurance when it matters.
Its customised mounting options means it can be used with many makes of kayak and canoe such as Hobie, Grabner, Prijon and Rotomo.
Ultralight 403 – Benefits:
- Weight including battery: 7.3 kg
- Maximum speed up to 10 km/h (boat-dependent), faster that any trolling motor
- Range of up to 40 km at low speed (also boat-dependent)
- completely waterproof (IP 67)
- Precise GPS-based calculation of remaining range
- Solar rechargeable, including during the voyage
Ultralight 403 with Integrated Battery (29.6 V / 11 Ah)
|Speed in km/h||Range in km||Running time in hours|
When travelling through water, displacement increases power required in proportion to the cube (third power) of the speed. This means that doubling water speed increases the power required eightfold.
Conversely, it also means that only a slight reduction in speed will increase the range attainable significantly. Simply reducing speed by even half a knot has a considerable effect on the remaining range.
Since mental arithmetic to the power of three is quite tricky, the on-board computer of the Ultralight constantly calculates the remaining range for you. To do this, it combines the consumption data from the motor with the charge level of the batteries together with the speed over water obtained via GPS. This means you can read the remaining range in real time from the Ultralight’s display. Using the TorqTrac App you can even read the remaining range from a map on your smartphone.
Note: Speed and Range are indicative only. Actual results may vary depending on hull design/configuration and on-water conditions.
|Input power in watts||400|
|Propulsive power in watts||180|
|Comparable petrol outboards (propulsive power)||1 HP|
|Comparable petrol outboards (thrust)||2 HP|
|Maximum overall efficiency in %||45|
|Static thrust in lbs*||33|
|Integrated battery||320 Wh td-Ion|
|Final charging voltage||33.6|
|Total weight in kg||7.3|
|Motor weight without battery in kg||4.4|
|Weight of integrated battery||2.9|
|Shaft length in cm||45|
(v = speed in km/h at p = power in watts)
|Alternative propeller options||–|
|Maximum propeller speed in rpm||1,200|
|Steering||Provision to connect to kayak rudder; lockable|
|Tilting device||Manual with grounding protection|
|Stepless forward/reverse drive||Yes|
|Integrated on-board computer||Yes|
*Torqeedo static thrust measurement is based on internationally accepted ISO standards. Static thrust figures for conventional trolling motors are typically measured differently, which results in higher values. To compare Torqeedo static thrust data with conventional trolling motors, add approximately 50% to the Torqeedo static thrust values.
Ultralight 403 FAQ
- What power does the integrated battery deliver?
- The battery has a capacity of 320 Wh (11 Ah at 29.6 V)
- How long does it take to recharge the battery?
- When the battery is completely discharged, it takes approx. 12 hours to fully recharge it.A full recharge using the fast charger (not included) only takes approx. 4 hours.With the solar charger 45 W (accessory) you can charge anytime, during travel and while the sun is out.
- What useful life can I expect the lithium batteries to have?
- The life expectancy of lithium batteries in recreational use is, more or less, independent of charging cycles.There is no memory effect either. You can fully charge them after each trip irrespective of the charge status shown in the display.Generally speaking, a capacity loss of approx. 4 % per year is to be expected. Capacity loss will accelerate if the battery is permanently exposed to heat. Also storing the battery always fully charged will accelerate ageing.There are no concerns about using the battery in high temperatures, we recommend that you take the battery out of the sun and store it in a cool place after use.
To maintain your battery, it must be returned to a Torqeedo Service Centre for service 8 years after the date of manufacture.
- Can the Ultralight 403 be connected to the steering?
- Yes, the Ultralight 403 can be connected to your kayak’s steering system. Please refer to your canoe or kayak’s instructions and our information on mounting.
- What happens if I capsize?
- If the kayak capsizes, the motor will stop automatically to prevent injury, provided the magnetic kill switch is attached to your wrist or life jacket.The motor only runs when the magnetic kill switch is placed in the prescribed position on the remote throttle.Should you fall overboard, the magnetic kill switch will go with you and the motor will stop immediately.
- What is the warranty on the Ultralight 403?
- The Ultralight 403 has a 2-year warranty from the date of purchase for non-commercial use.
- What mounting options are available?
- Use with Hobie kayaks: We recommend the Hobie “evolve” product (available from Hobie dealers).
Use with Grabner kayaks: Please use the Grabner mounting kit.
Use with Prijon kayaks: Please use the Prijon rudder mounting.
All others: The ultralight 403 can be mounted on just about any kayak using the mounting ball provided.